Uniroyal Tire & Coupon Mom Stephanie Nelson Provide Holiday Shopping Secrets to Maximize Value
GREENVILLE, S.C. – (Nov. 15, 2006) – With the arrival of the holiday shopping season, Uniroyal Tire and “Coupon Mom” Stephanie Nelson are offering families holiday shopping strategies to help them save money and avoid debt while finding the perfect gift for loved ones. Nelson’s Uniroyal Tire-sponsored Web site, www.couponmom.com, offers consumers secrets to strategic bargain shopping during the holidays and lessons on how to adopt a value-seeking lifestyle for the New Year.
“The first and most important step to holiday savings is to set a budget,” says Nelson. “Setting a budget based on what you can afford helps families avoid overspending in the first place.”
With your budget in place, Nelson offers these shopping strategies to snag the biggest bargains:
- Make your list and check it twice – Once you’ve determined your holiday shopping budget, make a list of who to buy gifts for and what you are going to get each person on your list. Should your generosity exceed your budget, consider making gifts for some of the recipients.
- Research printed sales circulars to find the lowest price for the items on your list – Taking the time to review advertised prices for items you need in newspaper ad circulars can pay off big by determining the retailer with the lowest price before you leave home.
- Understand how coupon and discount policies work at retail stores – Ask coupon policy questions at retail stores such as: (1) Do you accept competitor’s coupons? (2) Do you accept expired coupons? (3) Do you accept multiple coupons within the same order? (4) Do you have a mailing list? (5) Do you send out coupons? Once you know a retailer’s coupon policies, you can devise a strategy. For example, if a certain retailer honors expired coupons and will accept multiple coupons per order, you can use the coupons you’ve collected through the mail and apply them to your order. Combining incentives can save you a bundle!
- Take advantage of price matching – Stores such as Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City and other retailers often match competitors’ prices within a city’s radius. Consumers can bring sales circulars from competing stores to prove there is a lower price elsewhere, thus initiating a price match. Local sales circulars are also accessible online at Web sites such as www.shoplocal.com or www.salescircular.com.
- Find coupons via the Internet – Sign up for retailers’ email newsletters, in addition to collecting all the coupons you receive in the mail, even for stores not on your list because you may use its competitor. Also, find the Web site of your local mall and/or outlet mall, and sign up for its email newsletter to receive advance notice of sales and special coupon offers not sent in the mail. For example, national outlet mall companies have $5 coupon books available for sale at their mall management offices. However, shoppers can print a free voucher from the mall Web site and get the coupon book at no cost.
Other holiday savings tips from Nelson for the cyber savvy shopper include:
- Find the lowest price online – Use price comparison sites such as www.shoplocal.com to search for items on your list. These sites allow you to compare prices for online stores as well as local retailers in your area. When considering online shopping versus traditional shopping, consider the cost benefits of free shipping and sales tax savings, in addition to the time you save not going to the store.
- Find an online coupon code – Search online coupon code Web sites to see if a coupon code is available for online retailers for free shipping or a percentage off of your purchase. Online coupon codes are readily available on thousands of Web sites for online merchants and can be found using search engines with keywords such as “online coupon code” or “online discount.”
- Get an automatic rebate – When shopping online, shop through online rebate sites such as www.Upromise.com, www.Babymint.com, www.Ebates.com, www.Freestylerewards.com or www.Clubmom.com. By setting up an account at a rebate Web site and shopping at online retailers (hundreds of retailers are represented at these sites) you will receive cash back on your purchases. Combine your rebate with the online coupon codes for further discounts!
“Families should not spend their holidays worried about how they will pay for their purchases in the months ahead,” says Nelson. “As a sponsor of my Web site, Uniroyal Tire has provided me with the opportunity to educate hundreds of thousands of consumers on how to save money on everything from groceries to gas. I am thrilled to be providing this free service to value seekers nationwide.”
“Uniroyal Tire’s sponsorship of couponmom.com is a logical extension of our mission to provide good quality, affordable tires for the American driver,” said Uniroyal® Tire Brand Director Kaz Holley. “By sponsoring Stephanie’s Web site and local market visits for Stephanie to speak directly with consumers, we are helping American families get the most value out of their purchases in many areas, not just tires.”
Holley said that in addition to utilizing the tips on www.couponmom.com, consumers can go to the Uniroyal Web site – www.uniroyal.com – to get gas savings tips for their holiday visits to grandma’s. The Uniroyal site provides valuable tire and auto maintenance tips, as well as gas purchasing advice that could add up to hundreds of dollars in gas savings over a year’s time.
Nelson specializes in helping consumers become savvier about finding everyday bargains and value. She knows all the tricks of the trade when it comes to maximizing value and slashing spending in many
areas, including automotive, travel, clothing, restaurants, groceries, gifts, theme parks, gardening and entertainment. She is a regular on-air contributor to ABC News’ Good Morning America and a bi-weekly columnist for ABCNews.com. Her www.couponmom.com Web site, sponsored by Uniroyal Tire, provides free advice and free downloadable coupons for the value-seeking consumer.
Uniroyal Tire is one of the world's leading tire brands for passenger and commercial cars, pick-ups,
light trucks, mini vans and sport utility vehicles. Dating back to 1892, Uniroyal Tire has developed a reputation for providing high-quality, affordable tires including its Tiger Paw® and Laredo® tire series. Uniroyal® tires offer just the right combination of dependability, traction and grip in almost every weather condition, and come with one of the industry's leading warranties. Visit Uniroyal Tire online at www.uniroyal.com.